Born on August 20, 1944 as the fifth son of freedom fighter and Gandhi disciple, P.K. Neelakanta Pillai, and folk artist Narayani Amma at Chadayamangalam village in the Quilon District of Kerala state in India. Had early education at the S.V. High School , Chadayamangalam.
- B.Sc. (University of Kerala, 1965)
- MA (University of Kerala, 1968)
- Ph.D. (University of Annamalai, 1979)
- Underwent training in Journalism, Mass Media, Public Relations in Malayali Daily (1965)
- On a British Council Bursary, underwent training in Great Britain on current trends in British Theatre (1985)
As a student activist, he joined the distinguished Gandhian activist, K. Janardanan Pillai and Prof. M.P. Manmathan during the Bhoodan Movement of Vinobaji and Jayaprakash Narayan on the occasion of their tour in Kollam District of Kerala in the late 50’s.
- Secretary of Student Sarvodaya Movement (1958-61)
- Local Secretary, Kerala Student Union (1959-60)
- Secretary, Trivandrum District Sarvodaya Vidyarthi Mandal (1961-64)
- Vice-Chairman, Quilon District Youth Congress (1965-67)
- College Union Chairman, N.S.S College, Pandalam (1965-66)
- Chairman, Annamalai University Research Scholars Association (1974-76)